Everybody wants to turn back the hands of time when it comes to the aging face. Collagen induction therapy using a microneedling device along with Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) is a natural, safe and cost effective technique to help in rejuvenating the skin and reversing the aging process.
This treatment is aimed at treating fine lines and wrinkles as well as volumizing deeper wrinkles. It is an excellent choice for under eye tear troughs, nasal labial folds, marionette lines, peri-oral lip lines as well as a lip filler. It improves the texture of the area treated, lifts acne scars and fills in cheeks and chins as well as tightens pores.
This dermal stamping with the multiple microneedle pen or by injection technique using platelet rich plasma (PRP) that is utilized as an autologous (from your body) alternative for dermal volumetric regeneration and rejuvenation versus synthetic dermal or hypodermal augmentation products.
The PRP acts as a biologic scaffold that comprises a “structure and signals” process that includes the 5 major steps of physiological wound healing:
- Formation of a tri-dimensional fibrin strand, including platelets and white blood cells that functions as a bio-active ‘scaffold’
- Platelet mediated release of growth factors in their biologically determined ratios
- Chemo-attraction of macrophages and stem cells to the site of bio-active ‘scaffold’
- Stem cell proliferation
- Stem cell differentiation in the vicinity of the bio-active ‘scaffold’
The Benefits of PRP
- Tissue regeneration and rejuvenation: neo-collagenesis, neo-vascularisation, & extracellular matrix formation
- Non-allergenic because it is a ‘body own’ physiological product vs. animal-derived
- Elimination of donor transmissible infections
- Increase in the rate of the healing process
- Physiological ‘antibiotic’ as a result of anti-bodies and white blood cells present in plasma
- Cellular expansion of several cell types (e.g. fibroblasts, collagen, elastin, keratinocytes and white blood cells, etc.)
The Benefits of Collagen Induction Therapy
- Leaves the epidermis intact and does not damage the skin
- Stimulates collagen production in the dermis
- Skin becomes thicker as collagen and elastin are increased
- Is as effective as lasers
- Safe for darker skin patients with no fear of hyperpigmentation
- Short healing period
- Can treat anywhere on the body
- Results are natural and long lasting
- Lower risks and side effect compared to more aggressive procedures
What to expect at Your Treatment
Topical anesthetic cream is applied 20-30 minutes prior to treatment. A small amount of blood will be drawn from your arm to be spun down to collect the platelets. The type of treatment you are having done will determine injection technique. Linear threading, micro needling, fanning, cross-hatching and mesotherapy are common methods used.
Depending on the technique used you may experience some bruising and swelling, this is usually minor and resolves quickly. With the microneedle treatment you will only experience a slight redness similar to a sunburn that resolves within the day. It is advised to forego any icing, anti inflammatory drugs such as aspirin or ibuprofen as this impairs platelet activation. Pain is minimal to non existent. With the PRP injections there is typically increased risk of bruising and swelling.
Treatment schedule/Patient selection
At the age of 27 years our bodies produce less collagen and elastin, thus the aging process begins. This aging process is complicated by environmental factors such as pollution and UV damage, one’s lifestyle such as alcohol, exercise, smoking or poor diet choices, and disease.
Between the ages of 30-39 years ones main goal is rejuvenation and prevention. To slow down the aging process one treatment every 1-2 years is sufficient.
From 40-49 ones aim is not only rejuvenation but reversing the aging process. More stimulation of the collagen and elastin is necessary. Best results are seen with 2-3 treatments over a 3-4 month period.
50 years and older need a more intense reversal of the aging process. The initial treatment should be followed up by a second treatment at 1 month and a third at 3-4 months. Maintenance treatments should be scheduled every 12 months.
What to Expect after treatment
The results of collagen induction therapy are subtle and gradual improvement occurs over time. Viable signs are seen as early as 3-5 weeks. Collagen production peaks around 12 weeks and as it grows full results can be appreciated around 5-6 months post treatment.
Is Collagen Induction Therapy right for you?
- If you want to improve the look of your skin’s tone and texture
- If you want to smooth out fine lines and wrinkles
- If you are interested in growing and stimulating your own collagen and elastin
- If you want to regain smooth more youthful skin
Patients are advised to start taking products that stimulate fibroblasts to produce more collagen such as Vitamin C (1000-2000mg daily), and Vitamin D (1000-2000iu daily). Topical skin serums such as retinols and Vitamin C are recommended prior and post treatment to activate the fibroblasts.
Avoid anti-inflammatory agents such as aspirin, ibuprofen or fish oil for 7-14 days prior to treatment and again 7-14 days post treatment.